In addition to booking meetings at businesses which are Green Key certified or have other established eco-labels, you can do much to protect the environment before, during and after an event.
Before the Event:
- Use eco-friendly paper or emails for invitations, programs and follow-up material for participants.
- Inform participants about the possibility of using public transport to the venue.
- Encourage carpooling by handing out a list of participants in advance.
- Hold the event in a suitably sized room to minimize the use of heating or air-conditioning.
- Purchase organic fruits and beverages.
- Use ice water in pitchers instead of bottled water.
- Order a percentage of organic or climate-friendly foods.
During the Event:
- Use electronic media such as websites or apps, so participants can view presentations, a list of participants and other practical information on their phones, tablets or computers
- Folders and other documents should be printed on eco-friendly paper
- Put paper and pencils in a central location so participants can take what they need
- Use air-conditioning or heating only when necessary
- Turn off unnecessary lighting during the daytime
- Utilize sustainable products. Use disposable packaging only in special cases (e.g. outdoor activities)
- Have participants sort their waste according to the venue's instructions
- Share advice about the environment to the participants.
After the Event:
- Recycle unused printed material
- Recycle unused nameplates
- Turn off lights and air-conditioning units when you leave the room.
- Send meeting presentations electronically.